Everyone hates taking tests. Just the thought elicits stress, panic and procrastination in most people.
But if you’re thinking about taking an exam to become a Certified Tree Safety Specialist Professional (or any other industry certification) then you’ll need to buckle down and hit the books. Save yourself some grief and just apply some (or all) of the study suggestions on this list:
- Learn the material and review as you go along. It may sound obvious, but make sure you actually understand the information as you are studying it.
- Consider making old-fashioned flash cards that you can carry with you and study during your down time.
- Break study sessions into manageable time segments and meaningful units. You'll remember more if you study for short periods of time (45 minutes to 1 hour) and over a longer period of time (1-2 weeks) than if you cram all your study into a binge session the night before the test.
- Cramming the night before almost never works. Seriously.
- Consider forming a study group with other people taking the same exam. This will add other perspectives and help to round out your studying.
- Prioritize the study material. Learn the most difficult elements first and don't sweat the small stuff.
The fact is that many of us managed to get through school without ever learning effective study tips. And just as many others have been in the workforce long enough to be a little rusty. As you can see above, a little planning will go a long way to ensuring a successful outcome. Hopefully these tips and tricks will help you study for your upcoming exam – TCIA wishes you luck!
What are your surefire study tips? Let us know in the comments below!